About this blog

Hi everyone!

JunYet and Jacelyn here. This blog was started so that we could record our journey together as boardgamers. Hope you'd enjoy reading it as much as we enjoy writing it! :)

JunYet's posts/comments will be in this color, Jacelyn's will be in this color.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kickstarter Project

Kickstarter is a site where prototype projects (e.g boardgames) were posted to raise funds so that these products can be launched in the market.  Users will pledge a certain amount of money in their project, and once they hit their target amount, those projects will proceed to be produced.  Those who pledged will get the boardgame, plus some freebies/promo stuff.


Pretty cool stuff. Plus usually the price is usually cheaper than the retail price.


We're not younglings in the boardgaming community anymore :P
We're starting to do good in the community!

Projects we have pledged in so far:



Startup Fever:- $50 (RM155.00) pledged. 
Shipping included in the $50
Project successful as of 14th June 2011 with $30,287 (299% Funded!).


JC:
This is the first Kickstarter project that I've ever heard of and it is also the very first Kickstarter that Jun Yet has pledged for. I'll let Jun Yet tell you more about this game =).

====================================

The Manhattan Project:- $24.5 (RM76.00) pledged. 
Shipping = $20 for everything!
Funding successful as of 16th of August 2011 with $8,683 (173% Funded!).


JC:
A member of our BGC community brought this game to our attention less than a month ago. I saw the video of the Game Review on the Kickstarter's website and I was instantly interested in the game!


The main reason the game appealed so much to me is because most of the time, games have very similar mechanism or themes but the theme of this game is about building bombs (Okay.. Maybe not the best game for kids) but it's a friendly game with an interesting worker placement and I liked the meeples (The boardgame slang for my people) that was provided in this game.


This is the very first pledge for a Kickstarter that I have ever made and I'm glad I did because the price above includes shipping which is really awesome because the latter Kickstarters require a fee for shipping in addition to the boardgame.

====================================

Flash Point: Fire Rescue:- $45 (RM139.50) pledged.
Shipping = $15 per game

Project successful as of 18th of August 2011 with $51,398 (1027% Funded)

JC:
Jun Yet spotted this game while looking through the "Hot" list of games in BoardGameGeek.com (BGG). He later realized it was a Kickstarter that was also very unique! Not often do we see games with fireman saving lives and putting out fire as a theme for a game plus the storyline was absolutely exhilirating!

We asked the administrator of BGC if it was alright to post up this Kickstarter in our BGC Community and while waiting for his reply, I was anxiously wondering if he'd say ok. Thankfully, he approved =D!

Jun Yet typed out the thread on this Kickstarter as I was too long minded and would definitely be unable to give a good summary without giving people a headache =P!

Jun Yet & I pledged on one copy of this game together =)! This will be our very first boardgame that will be owned by the both of us =D! Thanks to BGC, we have 6 people pledging for this game and thanks to my mum for letting me use my credit card to pledge for this =D!

====================================

Glory to Rome (Black Box Edition) :- $30 (RM93.00) pledged.
Shipping = FREE!

Project successful as of 22nd of August 2011 with $73,102 (348% Funded)

JC:
Just less than two weeks ago, I saw this new Kickstarter project in BGG's forum and seeing that it only had 21 days left, I thought it was a project that has been going on for some time (usually projects I see start with 40+ days) but little did I know that this project is actually a remake of a very well known game and in less than 10 days, it has reached more than $40,000!!

Thankfully, we pledged early and because of that, we are eligible for awesome goodies like promo cards as well as limited edition badges =D! What's even more awesome is that because we had 14 people who wanted to pledge together, the person organizing this Kickstarter started a new pledge level just for us =D!

This game will definitely reach more then $50k but what I'm most curious to find out is what goodies are coming up next as we have already reached the previous goal of $40k.

====================================

Lyssan :- $43.75 (RM135.60) pledged.
Shipping = Included!!
Project successful as of 17th of August 2011 with $31,632 (158% Funded)



JC:
I actually saw the cover of this game a few times as I was browsing through Kickstarter Projects. I've even checked out their main page once or twice but the reason I was reluctant to do so at first was because I thought each game for $50 (which it actually is) and plus shipping would be $65 so my sane mind stopped me from having further interest in the game.

Peculiarly, 4 days before the project ended. I find myself having an even stronger pull to the game than I had before and it only became stronger! Then I thought, "Ah heck! I'll pledge $50 for one game and ask if anyone else is interested."

So I gather my courage and my anxiousness and asked the people of boardgamecafe and CK is very supportive of any Kickstarters that any of us want to pledge for so he said "Quick quick post to forum & count me in." and that really made me happy to know that there are others who would like to pledge as well =D!

I then took a better look at the pledge levels and saw that one pledge level was $175 for at least 4 copies and to my shock! It's at the retailer rate (approx $30) which is half the price of the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) of approx $60 and if we only wanted 4 games, it would be $43.75 for each set including the shipping!

Such joy it was to share my love of kickstarting with my fellow boardgaming community members.

The funding is successful and it feels great =D!

====================================

Imperial Crusade Armada :- $40 (RM124.00) pledged.
Shipping = $10 (Included in the above)
This project will be funded on the 13th of September 2011.


JC:
This game is a table top space ship fighting game =) (Okay okay.. I'm not good with the terms but I think Jun Yet mentioned something like this xD)


Jun Yet actually was looking through Kickstarter projects and stumbled upon this game =D! He started reading it and was interested in it then he said "What? Dry erase pen? Don't want this game la" but later.... He gave in xD!


It's quite good =D! $17 for the base set plus $10 for shipment and an extra $13 gets you 40 more cards to make your fleet bigger =D! Jun Yet only wants the base game so I'm gonna pledge the extra $13 just to make the fleet bigger xD!!


I'm glad Jun Yet wants to pledge for this and I'm glad he lets me top it up so we get the extra 40 cards xD!

====================================

Eaten by Zombies :- $26.50 (RM82.15) pledged.
Shipping = $5.25
This project will be funded on the 19th of September 2011.



JC:
Kareem brought this game to our attention just a few days back. He actually bought a copy of the pre-order from MayDay Games long time ago! If I'm not mistaken, he didn't know it would go on Kickstarter and it was cheaper on Kickstarter but it's cool that he'll be getting it so much earlier.

I'm the gan jeong type so when I saw that the pledge which was $85 for 4 copies was limited to 15 backers, I backed it before I found anyone else to join in =P! In fact, I pledged before even having the thread on BGC's forum xD!

Now we have 6 people backing this project including one copy for Jun Yet and I hehe.

I absolutely love being in BGC's community. Everyone is so friendly and every day, I always look forward to checking on updates in the forum =)!

====================================

Carnival :- $37.50 (RM116.25) pledged.
Shipping = $5 (Included in the above)
This project will be funded on the 2nd of October 2011.


JC:
This game was introduced to us by Kareem as well =)! Kareem is currently responsible for 4 Kickstarters that I'm pledging for and I'm absolutely happy about it =D!

Others might faint if they hear that I've pledged so many games but it's the thought of helping boardgaming companies that are not big enough to fund the whole thing themselves and being a part of it makes it really rewarding. Furthermore, Kickstarters give loads of rewards for people who support them and that too is rewarding =D!

I found Carnival appealing because the theme of the game is so unique! How often do you see carnivals being a theme for any boardgame or card game? Not only that, the mechanics of the game and the artwork is absolutely amazing =D!

One more thing that made me want to pledge for Carnival is that the person who came up with this game is a female and not only that, she's Asian =D! I know she might not be Malaysian but I thought the idea of a female coming up with an awesome game was cool and the fact that she's Asian makes it even more awesome!

====================================

Get Bit & Sharkspansion :- $15.40 (RM47.80) pledged.
Shipping = ~$3 (Included in the above)
This project will be funded on the 2nd of September 2011.

Photo-full

JC:
This is the second game that Allen brought to the attention of BGC members. The first game was Startup Fever which is the very first game on our list of Kickstarted projects.

Allen pledged 12 copies of this game and he is planning to keep 4 copies so there are still 8 places for anyone else who would like to join but if anything, he would take the rest hehe!

This game is a fun party game and although I've never played it before, the game review looks really fun =D! Furthermore, they even came up with an expansion for this game and if we get expansion as a group, it's only RM7.80 each! Where else can you get an expansion for RM7.80?

Long story short, I'm backing this game under Allen and I can't wait for it to come to Malaysia =D!

====================================


Check out boardgamecafe's forum if you wanna pledge too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment