About this blog

Hi everyone!

JunYet and Jacelyn here. This blog was started so that we could record our journey together as boardgamers. Hope you'd enjoy reading it as much as we enjoy writing it! :)

JunYet's posts/comments will be in this color, Jacelyn's will be in this color.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

5-day Boardgame Marathon

Exam's done. For this rotation, at least.
Exam's on thursday, and monday was a public holiday. So we decided to have a 5-day full of boardgaming! :P

Yeah. It's cool to be students hehe.

DAY 1

Game #1: Agricola

Players: Patrik (Red), Alina (Blue), Niyi (Purple), Junyet (Green)




It's Alina's first euro boardgaming experience after Fury of Dracula. Big steps for her! We're big bullies hehe.




My little farm (Green). I have one unused space, supposed to plow a field there but Alina blocked me! :O
Patrik was the winner. Pfft. Shame on him! His animal lives in small puny fences I'm so bitter hehehe. He had a whooping 43 points!! I was so proud when I scored 37 points, and that was my highest score in about 6 games. :(



Hope Alina's not traumatized :P

JC: While they were enjoying this game, I was just starting my exam since we had 3 circuits so I was the last
*sob sob* I was actually tempted to skip the exam just to play and enjoy with everyone else haha!

Game #2: Still Agricola

Players: Patrik (Cream), Junyet (Purple), Jacelyn (Blue), Cheryl + Hans (Red), Niyi (Green)

It's our favorite game currently. Thank you, Captain Obvious.
Can Patrik maintain his gay scoring streak?

JC: Initially, I was afraid that if we overplayed Agricola, then no one would want to play anymore =(..
But surprisingly, it has an awesome replayability thanks to the hundreds of Minor Improvements and Occupations =D!
I think I've played Agricola about 10-15times =P!


His farm looks pretty impressive. He had 40+ points again I think.




Yes, his farm looks impressive. But mine was way better! My card works nicely together hehe. I had a thatcher, which reduces my reed cost and clay framework.  I upgraded my house to stone and played mansion. Now each room is worth 4 points!!! I made pelt with animal skin. Now it's worth 5 points! It was lucky that my cards worked so well together.

My final score was 47 points! XD


JC: Jun Yet did a great job with his cards!
I couldn't believe that he had so many additional points because normally he goes for farming hehe.


Again, like Alina, Agricola was Cheryl's first game after Tikal. Another big step for her! Hans stayed to help her through her first game.

JC: Hehe! At first Hans was going to sleep or something then we asked if he could help Cheryl just for a while and guide her since we we're doing the drafting method (which was confusing at first =P)
When the game ended, Hans was still with us =P!



JC the animal killer :P

JC: Hey! I still had a lot of animals left even though I killed them initially =P!!
I had to kill them because I had the Cooking Hearth but I didn't have any fences.. More food for my family!
==================================================


DAY 2

Game #1: Space Alert

Space marines: Patrik, Niyi, Jo, Cheryl, Jacelyn

Cheryl came back for more boardgames muahahahaha. Looks like Agricola wasn't heavy enough to frighten this brave soul.  We decided to play all together in one team for once. A less competitive and depressing game.

JC: Credit to Hans for always letting us use his computer =D!





They did quite well under Captain Patrik's command. Passing simulated missions without any difficulties.


Bummer :P

Was hoping to see the ship explode hehe.




JC: The first time we played this game.. We lost horribly...
The second or third time we played this game, Jun Yet (who was ironically the caption =P) spammed all the energy playing with the Pulse Cannon which lead to everyone else having not enough energy to do anything =P.



Players: Junyet (Green), Jo (Purple), Jacelyn (Blue), Patrik (Red)

My personal favorite :)
Since all of us are quite experienced in the game, the game was quite tense. With a lot of blocking going on here and there. That's the way the game should play! Was quite happy with the game despite losing.







Purple owned us. Jo.
Her first 5-player game of Hansa.

JC: I think I was partly to blame for Jo's win =P!
I kept clearing things out for Jo because I was just before her and I love upgrading my skills so everytime I upgraded, I left the place opened for her =P!
Note: This is her first time really playing Hansa as she had just learnt the game a week back =P


Jacelyn trying to get a vantage point on Jo's unstoppable army of merchants and traders.






Jacelyn managed to upgrade all her skills, except for the keys.




Dont let her small size fool you. She's full of evil plans!!








JC: Jo was so powerful that she displaced 3 merchants in one round and still had enough to mobilize to claim the bonus marker to upgrade her skills =P!




Sigh. My skill upgrades. Not that impressive compared to others. On hindsight I shouldn't have maximized my action skill. Should have expanded more since I was going for the chain strategy. I upgraded my key mutiplier to max. But I didn't have enough city chains.

 




Patrik, on the other hand, has many city chains but not the multiplier lol.

Jo and Jacelyn went past the 70 points mark, leaving others far, far behind.

Game #3: Agricola

Players: Hans (Cream), Isuru (Blue), Cheryl (Green), Niyi (Red)



I have no idea how did the game go :P
Too busy trying to not get my ass kicked by Jo on the other table.

Game #4: More Agricola
Players: Junyet (Red), Jacelyn (Purple), Isuru (Blue), Hans/Jo (Cream), Patrik (Green)


Cheryl and Niyi were the only sane people who went to bed at 1am. The rest of us, we continue farming until wee hours. :)



We finally get to play drafting this time. Took us some time but I actually enjoyed it. I had occupation that gave me vegetable early game and a distill schnapps or sth like that, which allows me to turn 1 vege into 4 food! yay!
New personal record: 49 points woohoo! :)

JC: I helped Jun Yet arrange his animals =P!

Isuru and his sinister smile.



Hans/Jo, All they have is stone house and a couple of animals. Crazy bunch, but they scored 40 plus, believe it or not.




JC's occupations and farm.


==============================================




DAY 3

Game #1: Agricola Solo by Hans (Blue =D) Solo

Yup he played Agricola by himself. He got 54 points o.o
Respect.



Game #2: Tikal

Players: Ali (Red), Hans (Red), Jacelyn (Orange), Junyet (Black)


We're playing the auction version of the game. I actually like it this way :)






Jacelyn was quick to "chup" the 9-point sites.



Ali kicked our asses. It's his first time playing this. I see a trend here... Hmmm.

JC: I ended the game with 20 points more to auction =P! I really should've actively auctioned more....
Ali said I was Chinese that's why I didn't spend any of my auction points =P!

===================================================



Day 4

Game#1: World of Warcraft

Awesome players: Isuru, Ali, Junyet, Jacelyn

We finally brought out the big guns -WoW. WOW.  They have been wanting to play this for some time. Actually come to think of it, it was the first game I brought to Uni last year. It's the boardgame that started it all hehe. I was coerced by my brothers to contribute to the purchase of the game back then actually. :O


The initial setup took us some time. Place the quests, pick your cards etc. Quite tedious.

It's me and Jacelyn versus Isuru and Ali. We played the Alliance while they side with the Horde.

Isuru and Ali were questing together most all the time.  There were a bunch of nasty-looking neutral creatures next to their quest.


Eventually the game track came to an end. The Alliance engaged in the battle with Nefarian and destroyed him hehehe. It was boring for Ali and Isuru, cos they had to watch the slow process. On an empty stomach.


The two factions engaged in a final PvP battle after the overlord has fallen.
The fight took 45 minutes.

My Paladin - keep healing, keep keep healing health.

Jacelyn's awesome warrior. She tanked for my team.

JC: Haha! I was only so powerful because Jun yet was my tactician plus he gave me the awesome armour you can see up there =D!
Also, Jun Yet just kept healing me and since I had 14 health.. He just kept healing every round =P!


Ali's assasin has cool combo moves!
Yup, can see that they were bored when we were fighting the overlord.
Took us 5 hours for the whole game.

Ali: Now I can cross this game out on my bucket list.

JC: These boys were trying to traumatize me even before we started the game!!
I knew that it took ages to finish the game and that they've never finished it before but
they just kept saying how I'd be traumatized and what not..

To be honest, I actually loved the game =D!! I loved the leveling up, the quests and also the events that came every few rounds =D!! I love the awesome items and the skills to choose from even more!

I am actually looking forward to playing this game another time, maybe during a public holiday =D?


====================================================

Day 5

Game: In the Year of the Dragon

Players: Junyet (Green), Jacelyn (Red), Cheryl (Yellow), Patrik (Blue), Terence (Purple)

   JC: My birthday present (2011) from Jun Yet =D!

Yay! Terence's first game with us :)
I'm not sure he's really puzzled with the rules or just posing.

Of course, he won later. :O




Stupid Patrik from the other side of the table. Copied my strategy!!!!!!!!
I wanted to have many bankers so that I can pay to get whatever action I wanted.

Very convincing, Terence. Very convincing, you sneaky fellow.



Happy and depressed.
Seriously, why do I always get my ass kicked by newbies!!! :(
And I have absolutely no idea how they did it!
I was second last lol. This was my third game of Year of Dragon.

JC: I was first/second or tied with Terence =P!
This is bad... Experienced players like Jun Yet and I kept getting our asses kicked even though we've played the game more =S...
I think Terence had a head start literally! He's wayyy taller than us plus he kept being the first one on the turn order =P!


JC: Patrik killed many people and only had 5 people surviving after the 12 months =P!




So many good people have to die because of famine and mongol invasion into my provinces :O



=====================================


It's time to come back to reality. Work awaits us.


But it has been a really satisfying long weekend. It feels good to see so many games being played!
Thanks everyone who participated in the 5-day marathon! :)


Check out our others posts! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment