About this blog

Hi everyone!

JunYet and Jacelyn here. This blog was started so that we could record our journey together as boardgamers. Hope you'd enjoy reading it as much as we enjoy writing it! :)

JunYet's posts/comments will be in this color, Jacelyn's will be in this color.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

BGC OTK 26/8/2011

This is the first time we're going to OTK meetup in ages! Finally had a chance to attend this meetup when we're back for the Hari Raya break.

We arrived at 9pm and we thought we were early, but actually there's already one group of people playing Nightfall when we arrived! Missed out on that game :O Would love to try that some day.

JC: I also thought we were early but when we got there, there were about 9 people there already! I guess games start once there is 4-5 players but we wanted to do a trial run of Eruption first before we went to OTK =)

Interestingly, on my first play, I was lucky enough to get 2 Rain cards which could reduce 30 degrees of heat from my village each so I played it towards the end and it really helped cool down my nearly burning village =)!

Game #1: Eruption

This game is yet to be released, and they are offering a PnP version in exchange for a review so I took their offer on BGG hehe.

I made this game last minute (the night before OTK, in fact) and grabbed whatever I have at that time as temporary component for the game. Used Power Grid (the only box that fits the map nicely), Citadel cards (it was sleeved already so I can just slide in the new paper in front of the card) and Cashflow (which explains the cheese). Blasphemy, some would say.

JC: Actually, I'm quite shocked! People are really familiar with boardgames and cardgames!! People who saw the components immediately recognized that they were from games they knew and identified them nearly immediately! I'm quite new so... If Jun yet didn't tell me where they were from, I most prob wouldn't have known xD!

Yeah yeah I know, the board is not perfect. Some of the things seem out of place. But hey, it's free :P
(well technically speaking the printing and cardboards aren't free )



Soon after the game began, the lava began to flow towards the purple and blue villages. Note the straw (yellow) wall that CK (blue village) build.


Whoa my village (orange village) is burning up after a new eruption spot happened right next to my village! No one is spared, everybody has got some lava to deal with. But it looks like Jacelyn's red village is taking heavy fire :P

JC: Very heavy fire to be exact!! I was surrounded!!! By lavaaa! It's payback for me directing lava flow to the other side =P


You know something bad has happened to you when your opponents are celebrating.

I managed to direct some lava flow to the sea, but I didn't have enough walls to defend my village. And my straw walls sure don't look promising against the LAVA.
WOW. Jacelyn is holding up pretty well against the heavy flow of lava! She managed to build so many stone walls to protect the village... for now. The lava has yet to challenge the wall.

JC: Next time, I should just build straw walls =P!
Seems like CK's straw walls were stronger than all our walls put together!!

One of the final moments - note CK's straw wall (finger pointing)?  It stood, for a very, very long time despite the continuous lava challenge. Way to go, wall!

CK won the game in the end, with the most 'chilling' village.

JC: CK definitely had the coolest village (literally xD)
He actually manage to stay at zero degrees for ages and when I was at the 3rd Danger zone, he was only at the first! We only spotted CK's lack of damage somewhere midgame but it was too late to bring up the heat on CK.

Game #2: Imperial

After Eruption, Imperial was brought to the table. I've seen the cover of the game many times but never bothered to read more about it. But after playing this, I realized how much I've missed out :P

Boss teaching the game.

"Switzerland, the boring place."

Impending war.
All the nations come with unit-producing factories. Hmm does factory produce infantry? Rhymes a bit, but sounds wierd. Maybe they produce artillery, since the land unit meeple looks like one.


 I controlled the mighty German Empire, and it came along with some Italian share. Hail Hydra!


 Mid-game. German (black) is taking heavy suppressive fire from the French (blue, Kareem). *hisses* French was trying to stop the German from imposing tax on German land. 
Such noble cause.

 German is still in the lead for credibility hehehe. But not for long. In fact, German's credibility has not gone up since that glorious times.

 England decides to destroy Germany once and for all. Yikes, his ships and troops are coming in!
I decided to abandon ship. It is beyond salvation. I took all the money in the nation and left muahaha.

I was proud to say that I once have control over 2 nations. I bought over England's majority shares! But I lost my control before I even got the chance to move those pesky Englishmen out of my land.

 Jacelyn's Italian shares. Didn't take a picture of Austria, but he was holding almost all his shares. Austria won in the end, though French was the one who triggered the end game condition (credibility of 5). Even though Austria's credibility multiplier was only 3, he had like, 20+ points of Austria share. That easily gave him a 80-90 points. Nobody else invested in Austria because he's not taxing his people (which means his credibility was relatively low), and this allowed him to wallup all the shares himself.

GG. Got my ass kicked.

JC: To be honest, when we started this game, I had ABSOLUTELY no idea what to do or what's going on!
One moment I'm randomly building up artillery and ships and suddenly the French (Kareem) comes and attack me!!
Since then, I just kept building up on factories, artillery and ships and shoo'ed whoever to came to disturb me (i.e. Kareem) then when I was near the Investor or Taxation, I just randomly went and did it xD.
In short, I enjoyed the game although I had no idea what was going on =P!

Game#3: 7 Wonders

Jacelyn has been meaning to play this game for a long time. Guess why? The artwork.
I admit the game looks quite pretty though. I've done card drafting before for other CCG/Agricola, but this is the first time I see a game with card drafting as it's core mechanic. Interesting.

Sifu sitting out and teaching the game.
They seem to know what they're doing.
Honestly I don't get the game at all. I don't know what resource is used for what and I just built blindly haha. And ended up that I have to keep buying resources from my neighbors.

JC: Haha! I too was puzzled as to what to do! I knew I most probably needed resources most so I just randomly kept stocking up on my resources =P!
Wasn't sure what else to do actually so I built up on military forces as well xD!
She looks confused but her nation's a violent one.
JC: Hey.. Hey.. You attacked me too k! =P!
Plus, I was really blur!! It was 12am+ (Not good time for brain to work)

 
 Yup, the lowest score belongs to me.


 We played another round, this time with Leaders. Boy, the leader cards looks super pretty!

Jacelyn's
JC: I was lucky enough to get the starting card which made it free for me to play leader cards which I enjoyed since all the money just came in from left and right for my resources hehe.
Thinking back, it was a fun yet absolutely confusing game because I tend to AP quite a bit and card drafting doesn't make AP go away =P.
I do like the variability of each game play since you'll always get a different set of cards everytime and you'll never know what the person on your left or right will have =D!
Yes, I have no idea what was I doing :P

We left around 3am, and I suspect others stayed till dawn. Good game guys, see you all in the next meetup!

No comments:

Post a Comment